Thursday, November 5, 2009

New directions: vegan shoes

Hola, bloggies!

So assuming you've all read my last post, I won't be needing to explain why 1) I've been absent from the blogsphere for a few weeks, and 2) this post will not be food-centric.

I've been faced with quite a dilemma, in fact - what to blog about now? Surely I couldn't just ramble, I'm positive my life's not interesting enough to warrant that. What about my veggie garden aspirations, you ask? Well, those plans haven't quite unfolded as of yet. I am decidedly lacking in seeds to plant and haven't had the chance to buy any yet (I'm adamant that my seeds my organic, therefore limiting the places I can actually buy seeds from). Hopefully this situation will be remedied come Saturday, which happens to be a Super Saver Saturday at my local Mrs. Flannery's aka. Super Happy Funtimes. I don't know if I can quite express how much I love Super Saver Saturdays, but I sure don't love typing all that out. Let's call them Supahs? Kay.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand! So if I couldn't blog about my lack of veggie garden... what did that leave? I still wanted to keep this blog vegan focused, though I'm sure I could blog about a whole host of other things. Passing ideas have included books, my room makeover (currently in progress), movies... and then it hit me. Vegan fashion!

So, I bring you the first of what I am positive will be many posts about vegan clothes, accessories, and - for today specifically - shoes:

Aren't they heavenly? I have to admit, I am a complete and utter sucker for ridiculously tall heels. Especially if they're super pretty (and that goes double if they're pink). I guess I'm just a total girly-girl at heart... but how can anyone resist THIS?!

Gratuitous detail shot, anyone?

And, best part: they're vegan! Proofs:

...if you can read that. Anyway! Review time!

London Rebel Pink Heels Review
Obviously these are some seriously attractive shoes. Lovely platforms on the ball of the foot and sky-high heels that are juuuust the right thickness - not clunky, but not like a stick either - with a gorgeous vibrant colour and cute little cut-out deets plus an adorable ankle strap to hold them firmly in place. I was so smitten with these that I wore them out to the city the other day to meet up with my friend (who was actually the one who talked me into another pair of shoes I didn't need with me when I bought them). As soon as I left the house to walk to the train station, I knew I was going to regret my choice of footwear. Not only are these shoes a major challenge to walk in without falling over/rolling your ankle/plodding along looking like a total idiot (ALL of which I did), they're not exactly painless. By the end of the day my feet were covered in sores (the ankle strap actually CUT IN to my feet!) and sore as hell. I was very thankful indeed that my meeting with my friend was short - not that I don't love spending time with her, but godDAMN, as I was walking around trying desperately not to DIE I was cursing the day I spent a surprisingly low amount of cashola on The Shoes, cursing my stupidity for deciding to put fashion before comfort, and wondering why in HELL anyone EVER wore heels at all... and then we'd walk past a reflective surface and I'd catch a glimpse of The Shoes. Oh. That's why.


Aesthetics: 9/10
Comfort: 2/10
Price: 9/10
Versatility: 6/10

Aesthetics score for obvi reasons, same goes for comfort (given a 2 and not a 1 because I did manage to walk around for about an hour and a half with them on, without killing myself - god I hope they just need to be broken in!), price was very very good as they were originally $60 but they were 50%, heck yes! And versatility is a little so-so because the actual style of the shoe is pretty neutral, but the outrageous colour means they won't go with everything.

Be sure to check out shoes by London Rebel. I can't vouch for 100% veganness, but they're not especially expensive or high-brow shoes (yet are absolutely gorgeous - can you tell I LOVE this brand?!) so I wouldn't think many of their designs are leather, if any at all.

Next up; seeds for the veggie garden!

- VS

4 comments:

  1. I'd probably die in those shoes, but they are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shoes look great! I just found your blog and am enjoying reading it. It's a shame you can't blog about food anymore, but you gotta do whats best for yourself right now! I used to suffer from an eating disorder (anorexia) and now I have seven great kids. There is light at the end of the tunnel! p.s. I'm looking forward to seeing how your vegetable garden turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UM so amazing that your in love with jareth... i mean david bowie too. ha seriously all my friends question my obession with that movie, but i love it! oh and also amazing that your from australia, i'm in new castle right now doing volunteer work. but your planning to move to LA? awesome lady, it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!

    Just a note to let you know that we're now making most of our boots and shoes in Lorica, the vegan leather.

    Mainly we make more 'alternative' styles, but please have a look, there's probably something you'll like...

    http://fantasyshoe.com/vegan/

    Have a great day.

    Ian,
    The Fantasy Online Team.

    ReplyDelete